Throughout her life, Kass taught us to never lose hope….no matter what life brings. She showed us by her example that having hope provides strength, having hope reinforces courage, and having hope makes all things possible, even in the face of uncertainty. She reminded us time and time again that no matter what, “everything will be okay”. She never stopped fighting and she never lost her faith. It is in recognition of Kass’s strength, courage, and love that we have created this award.
Last year during our inaugural Harnessing Hope 5K Run/Walk, we read and listened to many stories that were shared which reminded us of the power of hope and the strength of determination. We know from our own experiences that most people run with a purpose in their heart.
The Harnessing Hope Award will be presented annually during the Team Kass Harnessing Hope 5K Run/Walk. With this award, we will recognize one 5K participant who may never win a medal, but who runs anyway…with hope in their heart. We will bring their stories into the light through this annual award. For there is always a reason to hope….
The Team Kass Foundation is thrilled to have local support in this new venture from the Williamsport Sun-Gazette and the Susquehanna Health Cancer Center. Both have agreed to partner with us in promoting this initiative. Their support means so much to us. We continue to explore ways that we can give back to those in the area who are currently undergoing cancer treatment. We are fortunate to have the resources and services available through the SH Cancer Center right here in our own backyard. Through our Foundation, we want to continue to be an advocate and a partner within the cancer community.
Michelle Gaida, Executive Director, Cancer Services, Susquehanna Health remarked “the Susquehanna Health Cancer Center is honored to support the 2nd Annual Harnessing Hope 5K Run/Walk. Kass’s emphasis on hope during her battle with cancer is inspiration to us all. Cancer may have started this battle……but together with hope, faith, family, friends, and love, we will finish it.”
- Submit your story of hope and tell us why you run in no more than 1,000 words by September 5, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include no more than three (3) digital photos that help to tell your story (.jpg or .png format).
- Stories must be previously unpublished and based on actual experiences.
- In your submission email, please include the following statement: If selected, I hereby authorize the Team Kass Foundation to use my name and winning entry to be re-printed in its entirety in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette and on the Team Kass Foundation website, Facebook page, and Twitter page.
- Submitting authors must be able to participate in the Harnessing Hope 5K Run/Walk on October 18, 2014 in Hughesville, PA.
Grand Prize Guidelines:
- The grand prize winner will be determined by the Team Kass Foundation Board of Directors following a review of submitted entries.
- The grand prize winner will be introduced at the start of the Harnessing Hope 5K Run/Walk on October 18, 2014 at Hughesville High School.
- During the introduction, an excerpt of the winning story will be read to the 5K participants.
- The winning story will be featured in its entirety in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette on the Sunday following the race: Sunday, October 19, 2014 or shortly thereafter.
- The winning story will be posted in its entirety on http://teamkass.com with a link to the Team Kass Foundation Facebook and Twitter pages. (pending author approvals)
- The grand prize winner will receive :
- Harnessing Hope commemorative medal
- Two (2) complimentary entries to the Harnessing Hope 5K Run/Walk
- A check for $100.00.
- Depending upon the volume of entries, the Team Kass Foundation Board reserves the right to select up to two (2) honorable mentions.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com